PR No. 66 MEETING OF THE FEDERAL CABINET Islamabad: September 9, 2016
The Federal Cabinet met under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif, here today, to discuss different agenda items.
During discussion on Prime Minister’s Global SDG’s Achievement Programme, the Prime Minister underlined that achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a must for long term prosperity of the country. “Pakistan is the first country in the world to have adopted SDGs by Parliament as part of national development agenda. Equal opportunities will be given to all parts and people of the country mainly in the sectors of health and education with special focus on the less developed areas”, said the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister further said that local communities must be fully involved for the effective implementation of SDGs.
The Federal Cabinet considered and gave approval to compensation rates for land acquisition for affectees of Diamer Basha Dam. The Prime Minister said that construction of mega Hydel projects would greatly help in fulfilling the energy needs of the country along with mitigating the hazards of floods. “Our government is determined and focused on resolving the energy issues confronted by Pakistan. Our plans include execution of short, medium and long-term projects in this regard”, said the Prime Minister.
The Prime Minister directed that transparency must be maintained in the distribution of compensation money to the affected people of Diamer-Basha Dam. “Our government arranged the finances for Dasu Hydel Power Project through World Bank and all the required measures are ensured for the construction of Diamer-Basha Dam”, added the Prime Minister.
The Cabinet also approved the Extension of the Proof Registration (PoR) Cards and Tripartite Agreement in respect of Registered Afghan Refugees till 31st March 2017. During the discussion the Prime Minister said, “Afghans are our brothers and very dear to us. Adequate and concrete steps will be ensured for facilitation of Afghan Refugees living in Pakistan”.
The Prime Minister directed the Ministry of States & Frontier Regions to hold broad based consultations with the national leaderships of main stream political parties and Afghan representatives for addressing the concerns of Afghan Refugees. “We would not allow that Afghan Refugees living in Pakistan to be terrified in any way. They are our guests and their return plans would be decided in a way that does not create any negative impression in the minds of people living on both sides Durand Line”, further said the Prime Minister.
The Federal Cabinet also considered and accorded approval to the following:
- Minutes of the last Cabinet Meeting
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and the Government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan on Cooperative Activities in the Field of Defence
- Approval for Ratification of the MoU between State Bank of Pakistan and Central Bank of Jordan on General Cooperation in Expertise and Knowledge Exchange in the Field of Banking & Finance
- Approval to Sign the Protocol to Amend to the SAARC Limited Multilateral Agreement on Avoidance of Double Taxation and Mutual Administrative Assistance in Tax Matters
- Permission to Start Negotiations in Principle with the Republic of Belarus for Entering into Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange of Customs Trade Data Statistics
- Confirmation of the Decisions taken by the Economic Coordination Committee of the Cabinet (ECC) during 2013
- Confirmation of the Decisions Taken by the Economic Coordination Committee of the Cabinet (ECC) during 2014
- Confirmation of the Decisions Taken by the Economic Coordination Committee of the Cabinet (ECC) during 2015
- Confirmation of the Decisions Taken by the Economic. Coordination Committee of the Cabinet (ECC) during 2016.
- Confirmation of the Decisions Taken by the Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCE).
- Confirmation of the Decisions Taken by the Cabinet Committee on Privatization (CCOP) in its Meeting held on 10, 13 February, 09,24 & 26 March and 06 & 11 April, 2015.
- Confirmation of the Decisions Taken by the Cabinet Committee on Privatization (CCOP)
- Confirmation of the Decisions taken by the Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCE) in its meetings held on 14-10-2015 and 22-02-2016 (Cabinet Division).
- Confirmation of the Decisions taken by the Economic Coordination Committee of the Cabinet (ECC) held on 07-09-2016 (Cabinet Division).
- Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) designated as Investigation Agency under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act, 2016 (IT & Telecom Division).